Mixers are an essential part of any home bar. In addition to providing a variety of flavors, they add the fizz to the Gin Fizz and the red color to the Bloody Mary.
- Keep clear cola and ginger ale on hand for mixers.
- Stock regular and diet colas as a mixer for heavier drinks.
- Keep a variety of waters and sodas on hand such as club soda, also called soda water or seltzer water, which contains sodium bicarbonate; spring water; and tonic water, which is bubbly and flavored with fruit extracts, sugar and quinine.
- Stock coffee for hot drinks such as Irish coffee.
- Keep light and heavy whipping cream on hand.
- Make sour mix, used in many drinks, by combining lemon juice and a little sugar.
- Store cans or bottles of fruit juices such as cranberry and pineapple, which are difficult to make fresh.
- Use fresh-squeezed lemon, lime, and orange juice, if possible.
- Stock tomato juice if you plan to make Bloody Marys.
Milk or half-and-half can be used instead of cream.
Mixed drinks contain alcohol, so use moderation.